Saturday 3 April 2010

Good dog Bling




Today Bling was murdered. Fortunately she had had a lovely morning, and the week we have been on the road she has enjoyed almost constantly. So her life was chock full of joy.
I tried everything to keep her safe.But, actually, whatever one does one cannot keep pets in Greece safe from the malevolence of other humans.


In Greece, where poison is so common and so dangerous, you feel that you are helpless to protect those creatures that you love and who are dependant on you. Not being able to keep a dependant and beloved creature safe makes you helpless and angry.


After I reached Krana I was so full of grief and fury that I shouted at everyone, that there was someone, amongst them who they must control.


Of course I was incoherent and sobbing, but perhaps they understood something about their responsibility for keeping death off the mountain. Some people said that if their dog was killed they would be after the perpetrator with a caribina. Another said, we can`t stop it, it happens every year, the police can`t catch them. Another said.."He could at least have made a written sign to warn people coming up the track."


But NO warning would have kept Bling safe- she was on the lead. If it had been normal poison, which is put in a bit of meat or sausage, I would have seen it.


But this was different from what I have ever seen. A man in Krana asked me what it was. It was a white capsule..a bit like the special dog treats I bought for Bling.. no wonder she grabbed it. She spat it out immediately, but the man in Krana told me that these capsules, which are sugary on the outside, and which have yellow beads inside, are so potent that when the animal bites it, and it breaks, they are dead.


These are, unsurprisingly, illegal. I had never even heard of them.


But the man in Krana told me, some people have access to them. usually illegal hunters get them, because they want to kill foxes. If an animal bites one of these they are dead straight away. Like those suicide pills that spies are rumoured to carry.


There are several organisations which work to stop the use of poison in towns to get rid of strays. We must also do something to stop this slaughter in the wildplaces.


For the time being, EVERYONE, every where , the mountains of Greece are deadly for dogs. I don`t know how you can go for a walk and keep your dog safe..Bling was ON THE LEAD, I was watching for poison..and I failed totally to protect her.


There are irresponsible criminals who want to kill foxes or beechmartens, and don`t care what else they kill. Its bad enough that they can kill foxes and dogs and get away with it, but also, how many bears and wolves and jackals fall victim to these people?


People ask me all the time if I mind being alone. Usually I am Ok.


But sometimes, when I need someone to comfort me, being alone is almost unbearable.


Here are two of the last pictures of Bling. She was always so full of joy and zest for life.


In these photos you can see how pleased she is that she is coming when called, and will get a reward.


She SO loved being on trips with George. She enjoyed everything. She loved it when I made up her little tent out of saddle bag and George`s Numnah. She was so happy and proud when I got her a bucket of water to drink, because she didnt want to have water in her bowl, but to lap water from a bucket, just like George.


Oh no I`ve started crying again.




8 comments:

  1. Penny, I was so sad to read this post. Just awful. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Αυτο ειναι τοσο απαισιο που δεν ξερω τι να πω. Μακαρι να μπορουσα να ειμαι εκει τωρα μαζι σας.
    Ο George τι λεει; Να εισαστε καλα και να συνεχισετε το ταξιδι σας χωρις αλλα τετοια.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heartwrenching for you, also for us reading this. Love the photos of Bling - she does look happy on her adventure with you and George, bless her. You did well to address the locals as you did - tears and all. Greeks usually understand and respond to drama well. Since we are not with you to help you through this time, try hugging a good solid tree. Sounds daft but strength and comfort can be drawn. Lay your head on the tree too... Thinking of you, Love Jill, Flora and Busbyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sad to read about Bling - and caused by precisely the sort of arrogant thoughtlessness that your writings highlight so well. Leaving the conservation issues aside (as if we could . . . ), are they waiting for a child to pick up one of these things? Remembering my 5-year-old dog-biscuit-eating self, I think it's only too likely. It'll be a lonelier road for you and George - I hope you can find some comfort in your on-line friends (poxy Vodaphone permitting) and the approaching spring. Much love Kxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so sorry for your loss! That s just one more thing that makes me feel ashamed to be called Greek! This country is so pet unfriendly, and that's an understatement.
    I can only wish the best for you, and hope that you keep Bling's love in your heart.
    Hug.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the most crushing news there could possibly be, Penny, and our hearts go out to you for losing this unique soul so bursting with energy and joy. The world is left poor without Bling. Let the pink basket and pink blanket honor her memory. Randy and Barry

    ReplyDelete
  7. :(... I am sooo sorry... I met Bling... she was wonderful... Try not to be full of anger... It doesnt help it just makes it worse.. I am sorry.. I know she was like family to you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my God, I can only say what everyone has already said: είναι να ντρέπεσαι ώρες-ώρες να είσαι Ελληνας (ή Ελληνίδα). Sorry που άργησα τόσο να γράψω ένα σχόλιο αλλά έλειπα. Penny μου, Bling was a special little creature, full of life, laughter and her own particular pursuit of happiness (which she achieved). RIP.

    ReplyDelete